Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Write through it?

I am very much a 'feel it' kind of writer. I need to feel it to write it, even if it's a superficial connection.. But, now that there's actually demands on my writing (of a sort, I ain't that famous yet) I'm trying to write when I don't feel any attachment to the character, or any immersion in the story.

(This is not a pity party, but a way of explanation) This summer has been particularly rough. A fair bit of drama around my penname's release, including the original cover artist renigging due to rights issues, and scrambling last minute to get new artwork. Preparing for, and taking two trips to Chicago. Add to that, personal life issues with friendships, and two of my siblings' marriages imploding. It makes for a poor writing atmosphere.

My question is, how do you drag yourself out of such a funk? Or, do you write through it? I know what my writing is like if I force it--it sucks. I don't want my writing to suffer for my mind and heart not being in it. There are moments, like brilliant flashes of light, when inspiration strikes and I run for the keyboard. But, it's not a sustainable drive--when the scene is typed, things seem to dissolve.

Maybe when the kids go back to school, I'll be more on top of my game. A little normality might be nice. At least things will be quieter.

Quiet is good. :)

3 comments:

Bernita said...

I think it depends at what stage one is at.
If one has deadlines, one writes through - somehow.
If one does not, it's perhaps best just to get the issues and the people out of the way first, because there are priorities that trump writing.
(I know, I know, that statement would make some claim i'm not a "real writer.")
Like you, I need the connective focus/inspiration to produce.

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Oh man, I thought I posted something... but it obviously didn't go through. :/

Anyway, I hope you're able to get inspired soon. I personally think that having kids at home dampens the creativity a little... so when they're back in school, you may be alright.

I try to write, or do something writing-related every day. Most of the time, I don't have a choice. Even while I was sick a few weeks ago the muse decided to keep working... what can you do?

Good luck!

AE Rought said...

Thanks, Bernita and Y! I appreciate the comments and encouragement. Seeing as I currently have no real deadlines, I am tinkering, waiting for the fire to light once more.